• Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: Equinox  
Role-Playing Place » The Neighborhood » Collabs » Lesser Beings
Lesser Beings
EquinoxDate: Mo, 21.July.14, 10:38 PM | Message # 26
Galaxy conquering warlord who likes to RP
Group: Administrators
Yeah, I'm kinda on the same boat as anchorage here. Not a fan of the fact that in the series, the only reason they have ears and tails like that is to attract the rabid furries. If we change the lesser being factor around I'd join, but if you make it as is, I wont.

A sane man in an insane world will go insane.

AnchorageDate: Mo, 21.July.14, 11:58 PM | Message # 27
Colonel general
Group: Users
yeah

like i said, if the looked down upon people were pretty much just the same despite something like idk powers or mutation or class that'd be dope
like gattaca for example

let's camp in the forest with harmonicas and nature's harmonies

Dillon0909Date: Tu, 22.July.14, 0:20 AM | Message # 28
Commander
Group: Administrators
huh...

I love Spooky Crap :D

AnchorageDate: Th, 24.July.14, 0:59 AM | Message # 29
Colonel general
in gattaca, people were created by dna and genetics to be perfect humans but anyone who was made by normal birth was considered to be awful but in reality could achieve many of the same things.

what if in like a big city (somewhere dreary if you want it to be a serious thing i guess) the 'special' form of people have grown their own society over years in secrecy where they try to disband themselves from normal humans as their own division of the city with stores, apartment complexes, houses, pretty much everything you need. but as modern times come around, they don't keep up architecturally and technologically so some people leave and the word gets out of their little society and the normal people who hate them skulk around the area and cause a lot of tension

DepressedDuckDate: Th, 24.July.14, 12:51 PM | Message # 30
The man with no frontal cortex.
Group: Moderators
Saw RWBY when it debuted, fell in love with it. Next season starts this Sunday. All I'm gonna say about it.
I like this sort of idea, and I'm especially feeling what Archorage is saying. It's a real issue that may come up in the future that children of wealthy parents might be genetically modified for a specific trait or traits that the parents want. 
Over time, the (unfounded) belief might spread that these "designer" children may be genetically superior to the "Patchwork" people that make up those who cannot afford the procedure done. The divide between the absurdly rich (who are the only ones who can afford the most effective operation) and the "common folk" (who, while still potentially having a high position in society, are still looked down on for not being modified) continues to grow until the genetic modification in the rich eventually reaches an in-bred state where many of the children of the rich are almost  identical genetically to each other, due to most rich people wanting the same qualities from their child (With both similar personalities and similar looks in each other.) This eventually leads to some geneticists beginning to try and mix other DNA (Sometimes from different species) into the now vastly similar rich genetic pool to prevent the line from in breeding any more...with horrible results.
This entire thing reminds me of a short story I once read, where a rich couple persuades a doctor to try an experimental procedure on their unborn daughter which removes the need to sleep, and about all the challenges she faces as a result: Not from the procedure going wrong but from how the world reacts to having a new race of people that literally have an extra 12 hours every single day to work with, as well as other pros...

Walk without rhythm

AnchorageDate: Th, 24.July.14, 2:55 PM | Message # 31
Colonel general
not to poop on ya parade duck but the gattaca thing was just an example and not the idea i had
i like ur idea tho but it would kind of work against the thing where the society the lesser people have built has been hidden
if the patchwork people wanted to go there as adults it would require word getting to them as children which seems pretty unrealistic as its a complete secret hiding in plain sight
and if they were to ship them there as kids everyone would know anyways

maybe just long term patchwork families there for decades
that could work iunno

DepressedDuckDate: Th, 24.July.14, 4:38 PM | Message # 32
Oh, I completely missed the hidden aspect of your idea. Sorry, I thought that the genetic testing was public knowledge, which it would be if it were attempted in real life, but a secret society sounds much cooler.

Walk without rhythm

AnchorageDate: Fr, 25.July.14, 0:45 AM | Message # 33
Colonel general
the idea of the lesser people being the patchworks could be cool in it
everyone would have to be a patchwork maybe cuz being a genetically advanced human would just be being a mean dude and attacker or something
it could work

DepressedDuckDate: Fr, 25.July.14, 1:30 AM | Message # 34
What i'm getting from this is:
Genetically modified humans:  Rich enough to afford the costly process of changing their genes for their benefit. They have to keep this a secret, because if it blows over it's bad news for them. Unfortunately, it's been leaked and this causes a lot of problems for them, forcing them out of regular society.
Regular humans: The every-man who is mad at the gene-modded humans for basically keeping this hidden for a long time.

The Gene-modded have to go into hiding after a whistleblower steals their secret and spills it to everyone else. This whistleblower would serve as the villain, since (for whatever reason) he is determined to wipe out their kind, and the story would revolve around the Gene-modded's attempts to regroup, rebuild and take down the whistleblower.

Walk without rhythm

AnchorageDate: Fr, 25.July.14, 9:47 PM | Message # 35
Colonel general
it was much the opposite in my head

the genetically modded were the higher power and the 99% and are now the general standard for humans 

while the non genetically modified are unable to get jobs in normal places, because they arent immune to sickness and essentially perfect like everyone else

so they created their own economy and live there and work there and it doesnt stand out because it looks just the same and all that

but due to the fact that they are the 1%, the town has always remained the way it is since creation making it now stand out and be a very trashy place 

so that spurs people who lived there to leave, and try to fend for themselves in the perfect world. but it doesn't work out because they cant get jobs or homes because of their reputation as a procreated human

so since a procreated human is unheard of people begin to wonder where they're coming from and why they're here, and word gets out of the town and since it's so disgusting that there's procreated humans living among them the town becomes endangered and constantly harassed by perfect people

AnchorageDate: Sa, 02.August.14, 8:52 PM | Message # 36
Colonel general
i posted about it earlier
this idea is too comparable anyways

Role-Playing Place » The Neighborhood » Collabs » Lesser Beings
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: