Th, 25.April.24, 7:23 PM
Main Sign Up RSS
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Equinox, Ilovedogs2  
Role-Playing Place » The Neighborhood » Stories » Alice (Beware...sadness, alcohol, cigarettes and language within...)
Alice
NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:00 PM | Message # 1
The Reaper of Threads
Group: Co-Dictators
Part 1

Marci pushed her violet hair behind her ear and gazed at the screen towering over the Wal-Mart parking lot. She couldn’t take her eyes off tonight’s drive in movie, How to Train Your Dragon, but I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. Alice was talking to me under her breath about something but I was barely paying attention. Watch as her delicate small hands reach into the popcorn we brought and grab a few pieces and place them gently in her mouth, her small mouth yet full lips closing around the popped kernels. There were a few traces of salt on the corners of her mouth and her lips shone with her strawberry lip gloss as well as the grease of butter. I smiled and nudged her. She turned and smiled back at me, her eyes a bright yellow with slit-like pupils. I chuckle. Marci and her contacts…

“Xander, if you’re not going to tell me anything and just poke me to laugh, don’t interrupt my movie,” She hissed. She turned to the movie again and Alice smacked my shoulder and I looked at her in bewilderment.

“What the hell was that for?” I whispered, glaring. She smirked at me.

“You’re lucky she’s a bit dense when it comes to infatuation,” She whispered back and I looked down. “You’re such a boy,” She laughed and moved over me to sit next to Marci. We were in the bed of my truck and Marci was sitting on the roof, paying avid attention to the movie, unlike the other families and teens around us who insisted on goofing off and playing around. I just glared at them. Sighing, I turned my gaze onto the movie for once and watched with a small smile as Marci cheered because something huge just happened, but truthfully, I had no idea what had.

Alice had driven home in her Saab convertible seconds before the credits began to roll and I looked at Marci as they began. She was laughing and wiping at her eyes. “Why are you crying?!” I asked, shocked. She didn’t respond, laughing still. I sighed and looked at her.

“Let’s just get home,” I grumbled, pushing her into the truck and then climbing in on the other side. She blew her nose on a napkin and crumbled it in her hands, turning and leaning against the door. She placed her feet in my lap and yawned.

“A great movie night as always,” She said. “Ready for school tomorrow?” She asked, messing with her hair as usual. I don’t get why she dyes it such a deep purple, but it suits Marci. As does the many different types of colored and styled contacts she wears, and her eccentric clothing. Just tonight she was garbed in tight bright green skinny jeans, All Stars, and a one shouldered tee with a jeweled tiger on the front. Don’t get me started on her accessories, let alone her giant black bow in her hair, but I loved it all. Every single piece—“Xander? You okay boy? You’re just kinda…staring at me,” She said, looking at me. I felt my cheeks grow warm and started the truck, driving out of the parking lot and focusing on the road.

“I’m ready for school tomorrow,” I mumbled and I heard Marci yawn. I cast a glance at her feet in my lap and then back at the road. She really couldn’t tell I guess. A few minutes pass and I look at her: fast asleep. We were an unlikely trio, Alice, Marci and me, yet we were all the best of friends. I would never challenge that so I could possibly date Marci. If she didn’t love me back, our friendship would be ruined or at least never the same and then we’d all go our separate ways, Alice included. I pulled into her driveway and cut the engine. I looked at her small house with regret and then at the moving shadows behind the kitchen window. Even in the truck I could hear the shouts. I looked at Marci and moved her feet off my lap. I snuck around and lifted her out of the passenger side, shutting the door quietly. I looked at her window and then then the darkness beyond which would lead to the back door. Window.

Tis now the very witching time of night when hell itself breathes contagion

NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:01 PM | Message # 2
The Reaper of Threads
Part 2

It is really hard to open a window with one hand while trying to support a sleeping seventeen year old with the other, though she is rather small. I got in though without waking her up or alerting her still arguing parents. I laid her on the bed and slipped off her shoes, tossing them in the corner. I covered her with her comforter and sheets and stepped back towards the window. Changing my mind, I went over and kissed her forehead gently before actually sneaking back out the window. “Sleep well, Marci,” I whispered before closing the window, getting back in my truck and driving away.

I jumped in the back of Alice’s convertible, backpack in hand and still combing my wild, curly brown hair into some sort of hairstyle. Marci and Alice sat in the front, singing loudly to some recent song that everyone knew and half the country hated. Typical things nowadays. I fell back onto my seat as Alice sped away from my house and towards the school in a rush; we were somewhat late. Alice’s flowing golden hair was pulled back today and she had her cheer uniform on, white sneakers pressed hard against the pedal. You have to admit, she’s hot, but Marci’s beautiful in her own special way. Marci turned around and handed me a few fluttering papers, her now electric blue eyes wide.

“Here’s your homework,” She laughed. I shook my head.

“Thanks, get it all copied?” I asked, shoving it into my book bag as Alice swerved into the parking lot. I was thrown against the side of the Saab, laughing. “Calm down Alice, we’re not late now,” I said and she stuck her tongue out at me, jumping out and grabbing her cheer bag. She ran off. “What’s up with her?” I asked Marci as she watched Alice run off. She sighed.

“She’s worried. Cheer tryouts are today and she’s in charge,” She said.

“Ohh…” I mumbled, understanding. A bottle of vodka was thrust into my chest and I looked at Marci. She shrugged.

“You’re going to need a swig to make it ‘til lunch,” She said matter-of-factly as she got out, shouldering her designer messenger bag. I nodded and took a long drink, feeling the alcohol run through me and I smiled, dizzy for a moment.

“Better,” I said, climbing out of the car. The bell rang and Marci and I bolted for first period geography. We settled into our seats, panting, just as the late bell rang. Mr. Kenrael stalked in, nose pointed high and the first period of our long day began.

The note passing through geography went well, not caught once and two full pages of jokes and sketches of Mr. Kenrael, but Algebra can’t be spoken for as the same. And now here we were, each standing in front of the class and holding our notes. The class was dying with laughter as we read our notes with wide smiles. I read the part about how I had thrown my Algebra homework in the toilet because it reeked of Ms. Mack’s Axe and the class laughed harder. Ms. Mack tore the sheets of paper from our hands and tore them to shreds, sending us back to our seats. I high-fived Marci beneath the table and we each ended up with detention. Score one.
Biology on the other hand was absolute hell. Alice, Ms. Popular, was busy so I sat alone, actually paying attention to the seminar for once. That and the bio teacher was this old, monotonous man who really needed to retire, so that made it all the more worse. I sighed, looking down at my chicken scratch notes. What a bore…

NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:02 PM | Message # 3
The Reaper of Threads
Part 3

I leaned against the wall of outside the cafeteria, waiting for Marci and/or Alice to appear. The packet of smokes in my pocket was growing heavier as I waited, I really wanted one now, and I needed it soon. Then Marci emerged, panting and face red, still in short shorts and a t-shirt. “So…how was gym?” I asked teasingly and she just glared at me.

“Alice knows where to go, come on,” She said and I followed her out of the school and into the woods behind campus. I sat against the tree, waiting. Marci had run off to change and I desperately wanted to run after her. I want her, I’ve wanted her for years, but at this moment, it felt almost like a need. Closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, I remove a cigarette and light it to draw my mind away. I sat down and took a long draw from it before blowing it out my nose. I sighed, expelling the rest of the smoke from my lungs; a little better now. Marci plopped down beside me and shoved the vodka bottle into my chest again.

“Like I said, it’ll last us ‘til lunch. It’s lunch now,” She said and I could tell she’d already had a drink. I set it down beside me and offered her a cigarette. She took one and took a long draw exactly as I had.

“You’d have thought Ms. Mack would’ve learned by now,” She smirked and I nodded. Our lunch continued on in conversation. Alice never appeared…

The rest of the day went by just like Bio: in hell. I accumulated two more detentions, Marci achieved four, and still, Alice had none. She played good girl for the teachers, but we all know that isn’t true. And now, football practice. I don’t even know why I do it; it just creates more evil memories. “Xander, get your ass out there!” Coach shouted and I complied begrudgingly. I hated being quarter back but apparently I was the only one available. First quarterback ever that’s unpopular, and also the first quarterback ever that isn’t dating cheer captain. Like I could date Alice…I looked across the field where she sat, watching all the amateur cheers the freshies had prepared. I allowed myself a small chuckle; she must be suffering as well. I caught the ball and ran, nimbly dodging the dives at me.

Somewhere across school, Marci was sitting in front of an easel, sketching some masterpiece. I envy her talents sometimes: able to draw, sing, play piano, write, and act. She would be famous someday and I’d be a lowly garbage man or something. Touchdown…yay…

“Go get cleaned up you lazy bastards, see you tomorrow!” Coach shouted, but I didn’t even bother. I threw off my pads and pulled on my jeans and a t-shirt, jogging to Alice’s car. Marci was already waiting, clutching a sketchpad to her chest as she hummed along with her earphones. I jumped in front of her and shouted, causing her to scream. I laughed and picked up her fallen notebook. She took it, glaring at me. Alice ran up and shooed us into the car. We all loaded in, but we didn’t head home. I looked at Marci. “There a reason we’re heading to the streambed?” I asked curiously and Marci looked at me.

“There a reason we can’t?” She challenged and I shook my head. The streambed, a place of our childhood and a constant hangout now. It was where I first realized I love Marci and, when it was warm enough, we’d swim and I had a feeling we would today. I drew our bathing suits from beneath the seats and handed them out as we pulled up. The girls ran off and I changed rather quickly, dashing to the streambed to wait, but the girls had beaten me. Grumbling, I waded into the water and sunk underneath. The girl splashed each other, laughing.

Marci and Alice had known each other since Kindergarten, and I was jealous. I hadn’t moved here until third grade but we hooked up immediately and grew close. Now, eight years later we’re still the same, hanging by the streambed and sharing all of our stuff. Only that stuff is now deadly secrets, alcohol, and cigarettes. That’s major change enough to me. Suddenly the shrieks of laughter quieted and I looked up. Marci was looking around.

“Alice? Alice!” She shouted, unable to find her. I twisted violently until she popped up behind me.

“Boo!” She screamed and I whirled around, falling into the water. She laughed and I glared at her for a moment before I realized she was okay and I laughed in relief. Marci slapped her though and then it dissolved into a playful catfight. I lay back, watching happily. Marci didn’t play sports, but to hold your own against a cheerleader was something amazing.

NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:05 PM | Message # 4
The Reaper of Threads
Part 4

I was sun drying in the back of Alice’s convertible as Marci drove, Alice was singing loudly again in the passenger seat and Marci would join in on the chorus. My eyes were drifting closed, the dying sun felt so nice against my bare chest. I could almost imagine Marci’s gentle hands as the wind blowing across me and I let my imagination run wild for once. Her voice made it all the more intense. I drifted slowly into a sub consciousness, still awake, but barely.

The Sunshine Bridge was whizzing past beneath us when I sat up. I yawned, nice and dry and happy. I leaned forward and rested my elbows on each of their chairs. Surprisingly, they were both still singing. I tried to sing along but that just caused us to erupt into a riot of laughter. My eyes flickered to the road and the snickers stopped abruptly. Ahead of us a car was swerving back and forth in a drunken manner and I knew we were trapped. The Sunshine Bridge was a two lane bridge with no possible chance of a U-turn. The girls had yet to notice.

“Marci!” I shouted and she looked up. Alice did as well and then they were both screaming. I saw Marci jerk the wheel in desperation but it did no use. The car smacked into Alice’s side and we were thrown off the bridge, flipping over and over again. I was thrown out and into the water quite a few meters away and I hit the water hard. I sunk beneath the black water, fighting. The usually mild current of the lake was strong as it dragged me down but I fought. Marci and Alice were out there, possibly stuck in the down current as the car sunk towards the bottom of the lake.

I broke the surface, gasping for breath, just in time to see Marci sink below the swirling current, unconscious. I couldn’t see Alice anywhere. I pushed and swam beneath the darkness again. I felt either a wrist or an ankle and gripped it, pulling whoever it was towards me. It was the bottle of vodka. I cursed loudly but it only came out as bubbles. I pushed deeper and something warm brushed against me. I grabbed it quickly and with relief realized it was Marci. She was limp in my arms through and panic ran through me. Where was Alice?

I needed to breathe, and Marci probably did desperately. The surface came to us slowly, but eventually the air presented itself to us. I found a drifting log and struggled to pull Marci onto it. Why was everything going so wrong?! I dove back under, but it was so dark. Alice, I’m sorry…please, where are you? My hand crumbled against a frigid body and in my heart I knew. I pulled her to the surface with me and held Alice’s body tightly, crying and screaming.

Her blood covered my body and drifted in the water around me and her head hung over my shoulder at a twisted angle. “WHY?!” I screamed. “NO!” I held her tighter, my tears running red with her blood. I pressed my forehead against hers, treading water to stay above the current. I took a deep breath and gripped her body with one arm and pulled myself halfway onto the log next to Marci. Slowly, I began to kick towards shore, holding Alice close and Marci with my other arm. Please Marci…hold on, don’t you leave me too.

NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:06 PM | Message # 5
The Reaper of Threads
Part 5

I crawled onto the rocky beach, dragging both of them with me. I collapsed, breathing heavily, unaware if I had been injured at all. I screamed again, loud and long and houses that lined the shore began to open, heads appearing in the doorways. Marci coughed a few times and blinked, looking around blankly. I got to my knees thankfully and hugged her close, my hand threading through her wet and tangled hair.

“Marci…” I whispered, choking on the words. She gasped in my ear and screamed, clutching my arms as she turned away, hiding her head in my shoulder. I rocked her gently, eyes closed but able to feel the crowd gathering around us and for once, I wasn’t ashamed of my tears.

The blares of sirens were beginning now but we didn’t move…we couldn’t. I don’t know what would happen if I took in the full extent of what happened to Alice. Eventually though, we were pulled to our feet and loaded into an ambulance. Marci was bleeding from a cut on her head and they thought her leg might be broken, but they were unsure. I just held her hand tightly, my own fingers white because she was gripping it so hard. Her head hit my shoulder and I turned, sliding my hand through her hair again. I pulled her head back and looked into her eyes. Her contacts had fallen out at some point and her silver eyes gazed into mine, tears spilling over her cheeks. I blinked slowly.

“We’ll be okay,” I whispered and she looked down. She shook her head and I pulled her into my arms again. Her shoulders shook violently and the ambulance was quiet except for the wail of the sirens. I glared at the ground, rubbing her back gently. “Shh…she’s…she’s in a better place now,” I murmured, and I felt the warm tears run down my bare shoulder. My chin rested on her shoulder blade as I waited.

The day was overcast as the crowd of black gathered around the mahogany coffin. Marci stood next to me, her hair a deeper purple than usual and her eyes their normal silver. I watched her from the corner of my eye as we stood at the front of the crowd, waiting for them to lower the coffin into earth. Her face was covered by an ebony birdcage veil, hiding her face from most of the people around us. She grabbed my hand and I turned back to the grave before us. The dirt was already covered and I suddenly hated myself for being too obsessed with Marci that I didn’t watch. But then again, Alice was always trying to push us together…I stepped forward.

The soft white rose touched the fresh dirt gently and I closed my eyes. We love you Alice, I love you. You will always have a solid place in my heart. Goodbye…I stood and turned to see Marci clutching her own rose tightly, blood dripping from within her tight fist. I stepped forward and slowly uncurled her fingers, looking down.
“Alice lived a full life. She was top of our class and Cheer Captain, she enjoyed life and we enjoyed it with her. You’ve spent twelve years with her; I’ve spent eight with both of you. We can’t regret this, we have to continue live in memory of her,” I whispered, wiping the blood of off her hands and then directing her fingers around a safe part of the rose. Together, we set it next to mine and then there was silence. She wouldn’t look at me but I didn’t mind. I took her uninjured hand and led her away from the patiently waiting crowd.

We stood beneath a tall oak and I looked at her. Cautiously, I reached out and laced my fingers through her hair. My body felt light and a strange feeling came over me, almost as if Alice was directing my actions. Or at least, that’s what I though afterwards. Marci looked up and I took a deep breath.

“I love you,” I whispered, and then I was kissing her and she was kissing me back. It should’ve been wrong that we were doing this at Alice’s funeral, but I felt that she wanted us to. We broke apart and Marci looked at me through her veil.

“How long have you been waiting to do that?” She breathed and we laughed, foreheads pressed together.

“Can I say it again?” I asked and she nodded. “I love you.”

NarutardDate: Mo, 22.August.11, 7:08 PM | Message # 6
The Reaper of Threads
Ten Years Later…

“Zachary! Where’s Alice?” I shouted, looking across the field as Zachary, our ten year old son, ran to us, laughing and waving his arms wildly. I pulled Marci closer to me and she kissed my jaw. I smiled and Zachary bounded up the stairs. Suddenly, a small girl with deep brown, curly hair popped up from the waving wheat.

“Boo!” She shouted, giggling wildly. I rolled my eyes.

“Hey Baby,” I said, picking her up. I rubbed my nose against hers.

“Eskimo kisses!” She shouted jubilantly. I kissed her forehead as Zachary pouted because I couldn’t pick him up anymore. I ruffled his hair and Marci just laughed. Alice, now six, hugged my neck and I looked out at the dying sun. My eyes found the Sunshine Bridge winding across the blue lake in the distance.

THE END...

Role-Playing Place » The Neighborhood » Stories » Alice (Beware...sadness, alcohol, cigarettes and language within...)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: